Reading: CHP 5 Molecular Orbitals - Homonuclear diatomics: 5.2
- PreQuiz on reading
- Please bring to class drawings of the all the MOs orbitals that can be formed from interactions between
- 2 p orbitals
- Label your orbitals as bonding and anti-bonding
- Draw one example of an orbital that can be formed by an interaction between two d-orbitals
- Draw Lewis structures of O2+, O2, and O2-
- Video: Drawing an MO Diagram for Homonuclear Diatomics O2 and F2
This section continues on the discussion of MOs for homonuclear molecules. It expands the discussion by introducing mixing of orbitals thus allowing for representation of more diatomics.
- be able to produce MO diagrams for homonuclear diatomics, particularly second row elements
- use MO diagrams to calculate bond order and multiplicity
- identify the LUMO and HOMO in the diagram
- use the diagrams to rationalize the relative stability of diatomics
Group Activity - We will discussing figures 5.5 - 5.8 in detail. Be prepared to discuss the figures in groups.
Problem Set (4th Ed): 5.2, 5.4, 5.3(a,b), 5.5, 5.6 (solutions)
Problem Set (5th Ed): 5.2, 5.4, 5.3(a,b), 5.5, 5.6 (solutions)